May 4, 2014

Lian's Senior Portraits - Lake Tahoe, CA. & Reno, NV. Portrait Photography

For Lian's Senior Portraits, she knew she wanted to take some of her photos on Lake Tahoe, but she left the details up to me. I suggested she take several outfits plus any props she may want to use and, after a bit of brainstorming, I eventually decided on the best location to start our photo session: a small, secluded beach on the north side of the lake. It has been many years since I have been to this particular beach so I planned to get there early to check it out.

Early in the morning on the day of the shoot, I made the drive over Mt. Rose Hwy. I can not explain, totally, the feeling you get as you come down the summit of Mt. Rose and see the iconic Lake Tahoe: so crisp, sharp and blue in the distance. As beautiful as it is, on this particular day a light snow was falling and the wind was strong. At times like these, you have to take a moment to consider cancelling. Do I really want my model to suffer through this cold weather? Do I want to? Luckily, Lian was up for the challenge and trusted my judgement!

I am beyond excited about how the images turned out from our time on the Lake. The wind was cold, but it is so difficult to create movement in hair without wind so these images really show a unique personality. Plus, there were moments when the clouds would break apart and the sunlight shined down right onto Lian and she looked absolutely gorgeous! After about an hour and a half of photographing at this beach, we thought we would drive around the Lake a little to see if we could find a dock to use. As we started walking out towards one particular dock, the wind was pelting us with sand and we looked at each other and said, "No Way." But before finishing our session that day, we took a couple of pictures of Lian wearing the shirt of the college she has decided to attend. It was Lian's idea to use these photos to announce her final decision and I just love the resulting shots!

We managed to photograph for a good hour and a half on Lake Tahoe, but, due to the inclement weather, I just didn't feel like there was enough variety in backdrops for Lian's photos. Luckily, we were able to meet the following day in downtown Reno to finish up with a variety of urban settings. Moving my business to the Reno & Tahoe area was a big decision for me, but everything about this Senior Portrait Session with Lian Christie has assured me that it was the right decision: the close proximity of such amazingly different settings as Downtown Reno and majestic Lake Tahoe make this area a spectacular place for outdoor photography. Thanks again to the amazing family for having me do these images for you. Congratulations, Lian, and remember to enjoy every moment of this time in your life. I wish you the best of luck in your future!

WindGuitar

BlueDress

TahoeStandingOnRock

InCloseGranite

TahoeSandSmile

TahoeSandHairBlowing

DressBootsWalkway

LogPurpleFlowers

SweetFormal

SittingPurpleFLowers

TahoeGuitarSky

PlayingGuitarCasual

TahoeRockSky

TahoeFramedRocks

RocksFormal

TexanStanding

TexanJumping

BirdWall

ColorfulWallWings

DowntownRenoWings

LeaningRedWall

2RedWalls

RedWallShadowVignette

DowntownRenoBridge

BridgeFormal

DowntownRenoFountain

DowntownRenoLeanin

DowntownReno

No comments:

Post a Comment